Proposed floating offshore wind farm in Sardinia
Community consultation with northeastern coast of the Island launched
Milan, 20 May 2022 - Tibula Energia is the name of the latest floating offshore wind farm project off the northeastern coast of Sardinia, proposed by Falck Renewables and BlueFloat Energy as part of the partnership between the two companies.
To involve the North-eastern communities of the Island before starting the Ministerial authorization process, the developers are having a number of meetings with local stakeholders to present the project proposal in detail and inviting their feedback which will be included in the final design.
Key numbers of Tibula Energia are:
- 62 floating wind turbines, positioned at a distance from the coast ranging from a minimum of 25 to a maximum of 40 kilometers. The turbines will be almost imperceptible to the human eye from the coast;
- total installed capacity of 975 MW;
- expected annual production of more than 3.4 TWh, equivalent to the consumption of over 900,000 households;
- will avoid the emission of more than 1.6 million tonnes of CO2 each year.
The ongoing global energy transition requires the involvement of communities and affects all sectors, fostering new technologies and skills. Thanks to the inexhaustible resource of offshore wind, Tibula Energia's development project will contribute to the boosting of the regional industrial system on which it will be integrated, while fully respecting ecosystems.
Meetings with local communities will be carried out over the next few weeks and are focused on presenting the real economic and development benefits of the project, including:
- the generation of thousands of stable jobs in the medium-long term: up to 3,200 full-time jobs during the manufacturing, assembly and construction stages; and more than 180 for plant maintenance after the wind farm is operational;
- the sharing of expertise on the latest energy technologies, which will attract the best talent from the area;
- innovation, research and development through collaborative schemes with Sardinia's universities, research centers and regional technology parks;
- development of the local supply chain based on our inclusive and sustainable business model which encourages proximity of supply, giving priority to local businesses;
- the development of the island’s main industrial ports for the assembly, operation and maintenance of the farm.
In addition to the production of green energy, the project aims to support the sustainable growth of local communities through initiatives which will benefit the area, such as plant co-ownership schemes or support for community-led projects.
Exploratory research into local sea and wind conditions, environmental impacts and industrial infrastructures has been underway over the past 12 months. The request for a maritime concession was submitted on 6 May and the authorisation process with the Ministry of Ecological Transition will begin in the next few weeks.
Ksenia Balanda, Tibula Energia technical director said: “We feel that the value of our projects is measured by their ability to benefit local communities. Through dialogue and engaging with local people, we aim to create a development model focused on collaboration with local communities to support their goals.”
Falck Renewables S.p.A. develops, designs, builds and manages power production plants from renewable sources, with an installed capacity of 1,408 MW in the United Kingdom, Italy, United States, Spain, France, Norway and Sweden, using wind power, solar power, WtE and biomass technologies. The Group is a global player in the renewable energy technical advisory and asset management services business, through its wholly owned subsidiary Vector Renewables, providing asset management services to clients accounting for approximately 4,800 MW of installed capacity and with experience in more than 40 countries. Falck Renewables also provides highly specialized energy management and downstream services to both energy producers and consumers.
Visit www.falckrenewables.com and connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter (@falckrenewables).
BlueFloat Energy is developing offshore wind projects in various regions of the world, where it can implement its vision: to accelerate global deployment of offshore wind as a key enabler for the energy transition and economic growth. Founded by renewable energy professionals, BlueFloat Energy brings together remarkable team expertise in the design, development, financing, construction and execution of offshore wind projects.
BlueFloat Energy is supported by 547 Energy, the Quantum Energy Partners’ platform dedicated to clean energy investments. 547 Energy aims to partner with innovative companies who drive the growth of the green energy economy. Quantum Energy Partners is one of the world's leading dedicated energy investment funds, with a portfolio of over $ 17 billion of assets under management since its inception in 1998. www.bluefloat.com
Elena Roda – Media Relations – Tel. +39 02 2433 2297
Nailia Dindarova – Government and Regulatory Affairs Director – Tel. +34 (0) 610 53 31 41 SEC Newgate Italia
Daniele Pinosa, Fabio Leoni, Fabio Santilio – Tel. +39 02 6249991
Sara Panarelli – Tel. +39 380 3687091